By Coach Meredith
Stop being "PERFECT" and be "GOOD ENOUGH" instead.
Outdoor survival tip!
When you’re running from a bear, you don't have to run the fastest.
All you have to do is run a little bit faster than the slowest person.
In other words, when you're improving your habits and choices, you never have to be "perfect.”
You just have to be a little bit better, consistently.
The 0% Game
Try a game.
You know those parents who focus on how much less than 100% their kids got?
For example let’s take a grade school test, "If you get 90% on your math test, what happened to the other 10%?"
They start from 100% (i.e. perfect) and work backwards. So everything is always portrayed less than 100%.
Now let’s do the Opposite:
So how could you apply this to your lifestyle?
See how much better things look when you start from the worst-case scenario?!
Let’s explore further:
What would move you just a little bit forward today?
What could make you just a little bit better today?
The answer? --
Progress, not perfection
Consider two options:
Option 1: Making yourself crazy for a week chasing a "100%" performance, followed by burning out and giving up.
Option 2: Trying to be 1% better every day, for a full year
Let's do the math:
7 days x 100% effort + 358 days x 0% effort = no change, or backsliding. You end up feeling like a failure.
365 days x 1% better every day = significant transformation. You end up feeling like a superstar.
Focus on "making a little progress" each day rather than being "perfect.”
Start from 0% and add. Notice your small accomplishments.
Let yourself be "good enough for now". Take the pressure off. Be patient.
Keep showing up. Keep trying.
And let the bear bite someone else in the butt.
Don’t wait for the “perfect” day, “perfect” body, or “perfect” schedule full of free time to come.
It never will.
Do something NOW.
Take the next 5 minutes to do whatever you can do, immediately, to stay on track.
Do that, and you're already 1% better. Congrats!
What to do today
Remember- you are only one person and can only do so much. Do not wear yourself down aiming for perfection when changing a little at a time is much more effective and manageable.
If you’re in need of any help setting goals or finding where to start, please do not hesitate to ask one of your coaches. We’re here to help!